Friday, November 22, 2013

Green With Envy & Name Changing

Happy Friday!!!!  I just love the end of a work week!  Even when I was away at camp and Friday wasn't technically a Friday, I would still get that Friday feeling.  There is just something magical about today.

Source
 So, you read correct.  I am green with envy.... of people who can eat greens!

I have been unable to eat leafy greens and certain raw veg for the past few years.  Crazy right?!  Honestly - within 20 mins to a day later depending on the circumstances, those greens make a hasty exit leaving me exhausted and dehydrated.. and super disappointed!

Source
 In my teens I really liked salads.  I found them fresh and yummy and crunchy, and they're so easy to keep exciting with all the different things you can add to them.  As someone who now strives to make healthy food choices, a salad would be a great option for eating at restaurants or at other peoples houses or just for when I don't feel like cooking.  But no.  No no no.  I can't.

I've talked to a ton of different health professionals and just people in general about what might be causing this.  There have been a lot of valid points and any or all of them could be the cause. Who freakin knows!  Two of the ideas I thought were really interesting are:
1. That I have a fiber intolerance
2. A body confusion (example: if I had a milk product and a salad at the same time, my body might have equated the greens as "bad" because the milk product is "bad" - for me)

What I do know is that Natasha of The Healthy Ginger suggested using greens powder, and I tried it, and it exited normally!  Whaaaaat.  Mind. Blown.

I had a little bit of trouble finding the exactly right greens powder.  We live in a small town, but there are quite a few health product sources so my excuse couldn't really be suppliers... it was more that I was so extremely nervous to try any of the different products!  Finally I went to Nutter's and asked for their advice.  They suggested Prairie Naturals Blueberry Greens Force.  It was recommended as the best tasting for someone who hadn't used this type of product before, and though it wasn't as chalk full of nutrients as some of the other more hardcore greens powders, it still had everything I needed.



I have been mixing a banana, almond milk, protein powder, ice, and greens powder and it's really delicious as a smoothie!  The bottle recommends 3 tsp as a serving, but I've started with 1/2 a tsp :).  I plan to up my intake weekly or so, small steps = big success.


In other news, I have been trying get everything in order with changing my name, and what a huge pain in the butt!!!!  Ok so I procrastinated a bit... like 3 or so months, but I had heard of the impending doooom of paperwork that would be set before me and obviously I was hesitant.  For anyone who will be in this situation in the next while, you MUST check out this website.  I have started following their list - don't try to skip ahead, I did this and wasted my lunch hour in the Access Center yesterday because I tried to change my driver's license before my MSP - and it is so detailed and well laid out, I'm really thankful that I found it!!!

Have a great weekend!!!


XO - Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment