Thursday, June 27, 2013

Not According to Schedule

I'm a planner, a lister, a little bit obsessive, and that's just the way it is.

When we moved into our rental house in May, I thought that I would be even more organized.  While this is true in some ways, I would say my organization has been put to new use.

These days I spend a lot less time obsessing over budgets, and a lot more time obsessing over workout plans and food choices.

Since moving into our house, I have become very strict on having a weekly meal plan.  We only live about 20 minutes from town, but I hate to have to go grocery shopping more than once or twice a week.  I want to be living in our cute little house in our cute little neighborhood, not driving to and from it all the time!!  So I make meal plans every week, and then a grocery list based on the meal plan, shop once... maybe twice, and that's the way it is!  Packing snacks and lunches are the rule, and take out meals for dinner are a no-no.  This requires determination and organization.

This summer is a busy summer though, and this is the week that is kicking off all the other busy weeks.  I was expecting this, planning for it, nervous for it, and now it's here... and my meal plan has already gone to s***.

The silver lining, and one I'm darn proud of, is that although the meal plan is not going to be followed, we have tons of healthy food at our house that will not be going to waste, and I have learned the art of adapting!  I feel like rebelling against the meal plan time came just when it needed to.... maybe my life needed some food excitement.  All the clean eating plans that I struggled over in the beginning, and later whipped up in no time at all, have taught me how to piece together a day of healthy and whole foods - sans the chart on my fridge.  I am also really lucky to have Cody at home right now, picking up the slack and taking care of making dinner.

Healthy eating does not have to be hard.  It takes time to learn, and more time for it to be second nature, but it's so worth it!!  A few months ago I would have been really stressed out by my current scenario, but I actually feel fine about it, maybe even a little excited to see how I do ;) It's like a challenge that I am determined to succeed at.  I am so happy to be at this stage of the clean eating journey, and hope that anyone feeling frustrated by it right now can gain some hope by reading about my experience.

Example of my rebellious meal week:




The Plan
The Reality
1
Crock Pot Apple Crumble Breakfast Pudding
Turkey Sausage with Egg Whites and Veg
2
Banana Protein Shake and Maple Cinnamon Almonds
Banana Protein Shake and Maple Cinnamon Almonds
3
Tilapia with Sweet Potato and Veg
Chicken Fingers with Sweet Potato and Veg
4
Paleo Blueberry Muffin
Paleo Raspberry Muffin
5
Clean(ish) Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Eat Clean Chicken Tacos
6
Egg Whites and Avocado
Egg Whites and Avocado


So you see, it isn't the end of the world.  Looking at this it's more like a re-arrangement of main meals.

XO - Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment