Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A Lesson Learned

Monday, August 5th was the last day of the James Wilson Body Earned 12 Week Summer Sizzle Challenge.

On first seeing a post about this competition I was really excited; it coincided perfectly for our wedding and the winner got to choose a gift card to their choice of store (HELLO, LULU LEMON).  I had seen that some of my favorite bloggers (Little B, Fit Foodies) had been using this program, plus it's affordability and amazing group support made it very appealing.  I started off my first weeks pretty strong, and was making great gains and seeing some results.  As per usual though, I lost focus, lost energy, lost the oomph to keep going, and quit around week 5.  Most people in the group say that they start to see their best results between week 6 and 9... I was SO close to being there!

I get why I stopped.  I just wasn't feeling great, and it was so hard to force myself to do a workout.  At the time I honestly felt I couldn't do it.  I would even feel teary eyed part way through, which is not something that happens to me during a workout usually!  Looking back though, I'm really disappointed that I didn't follow through.  I could be one of those people posting their before and afters, inspiring others, having those muscles that I really wanted.  It was all up to me and I'm the one who dropped the ball.

I'm letting my disappointment go because I just don't think it's healthy to hold on to, and I'm considering this an excellent lesson learned.  I now know that if a big event is coming up, that is not the time to start something intense, new, and challenging.  When I have a lot of stress going on, I think my body responds better to extra sleep and benefits from cardio over weights.

I am really looking forward to the wedding.  It's a day to celebrate finding love and marks us starting our lives together.  Once we have put this huge and special event behind us I plan on making an extra effort to put health and fitness above most other things, as a thanks to my body for putting up with me for the past few months.  Cody and I have this excellent chance to start as a team in our marriage and I am really excited to lay out some plans with him.  My goal is that starting in September we have a mutual plan and know what we're aiming for in all aspects of our life but specifically finances, health, and careers.

Enough of looking back and regretting that workout I missed or that chocolate I've been nibbling away at (it's now hidden in our basement).  I am ready to let go of that and of the stress that comes with wedding planning.  I'm going to enjoy these next 10 days to their fullest, rock our wedding day, and look forward to starting clean slate in September with shiny new goals to attain and achieve.

XO - Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Love the perspective that you offer in this post, very wise my friend!
    You look amazing, you're well prepared, and nothing can stop you from having the most amazing wedding day! I'm very proud of how far you have come!! Love you lots :)

    ReplyDelete